Try It Tuesday: Clean out the Fridge Chili
A Cozy Stay-at-Home Recipe
In a pinch for dinner tonight? Skip the store, clean out your fridge, and make yourself a hearty chili customizable to your own tastes and diet.
Last November, our main office in Petaluma had a super fun "pot-luck" celebration, and Alyssa (design department) brought what she called "Sink Trap Chili." Basically - clean out your fridge, throw it in a crockpot, Instant Pot, or let simmer on the stove all day - and voila! Dinner is served.
We couldn't believe how good it was, and of course customizable to our own vegetarian tastes - so we gave it a whirl this weekend. We had some leftover Amy's Kitchen veggie burgers which we diced up along with some carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms we had hanging out it in the fridge. We also threw in some leftover brown rice.
The result? A comforting meal that was beyond easy. We hope you enjoy the recipe (and Alyssa's sense of humor). Take care!
Alyssa's "Sink Trap" Chili Recipe
- 2 cans o' green chilis
- 1 can o' kidney beans
- 1 can o' black beans
- 2-3 cans o' diced tomatoes
- Some chopped up onion
- 2-3 cups stock (veggie or meat)*
- 4-10 shakes o' cumin
- 3.5-9 shakes o' chili powder
- A healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper
- A heaping handful of salt
- Maybe some water
- 1-3 cups random meat from the fridge, chopped (we used Amy's veggie burgers)*
- 1 cup o' rice
- Other beans or leftovers you may have
- Other veggies - like bell peppers, mushrooms, squash, etc.
- Carrots? Sure...
- Those rubbery celery stalks? NO
- Chopped onion
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Open cans
- Dump everything in
- Make sure it seems liquidy enough (soupy with nothing sticking up above water, but just barely)
- Cook for like 2ish hours or like 30min in pressure cooker
- Put in a bowl
- Top with toppings, or don’t (You do you)
*Note: This can be vegan, vegetarian, or anything depending on what you dump in it. Enjoy!
Enjoy, and Stay Safe + Well!
We paired our chili with our dish towels serving as over-sized napkins. Perfect for cozying up on the couch and watching Netflix while noshing on this tasty stew!