Try It Tuesday: Mud Pie Recipe
I Scream, You Scream...
We all scream for... Mud Pie! Have you ever heard of this delicious dessert? Also known as "Mississippi Mud Pie," this cool treat is not made from real mud, but rather the perfect combination of Oreos, chocolate, coffee ice cream, and whipped cream. It doesn't get much better than that!
Fun fact: the original mud pie recipe is said to be created by San Francisco restaurateur Joana Droeger. Who knew Mississippi Mud Pie would have originated in our neck of the woods and not the state of Mississippi?!
This Mud Pie is about as easy as it gets - and is a real crowd-pleaser. It's also nice because you can whip it up a day or two before a holiday or gathering, and it will keep in the freezer for a week or so (if you can manage to not eat it all in that time, ha!). In our family, it's even become a 4th of July tradition - it's just that good. We hope you enjoy it!
Mud Pie Recipe
- 25 Oreo cookies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 cups whipped cream (Cool whip or make your own!)
- Mini chocolate chips
- Take ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to soften on the counter for about 30 minutes
- Remove Oreo white icing and set aside (you can toss this part or do what you will with it...we won't judge!).
- Place Oreo cookies inside a plastic bag and crush into a fine mixture. A hammer works great!
- Mix Oreo crumbs with melted butter and press into 9x13 baking dish. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Mix softened ice cream with instant coffee.
- Spread ice cream mixture over Oreo crumbs. Place pie in freezer for about half an hour, or until ice cream is solid again.
- Pour chocolate syrup over ice cream pie and spread to coat entire surface. Return pie to freezer for 30 minutes.
- If you are making homemade whipped cream, mix it up now
- Combine about 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 T powdered sugar in stand mixer
- Mix on high until cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Spread whipped cream over pie. Return to freezer for 30 minutes.
- To garnish, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Or drizzle with more chocolate syrup or more crushed Oreos. Or all of the above!
- Keep Mud Pie frozen until ready to serve or at least 2 hours. If pie seems difficult to cut, leave on counter for 5-10 minutes before serving.