The City of Champions! This original design celebrates Pittsburgh, PA in amazing detail.
The design is silk-screened, then framed with a hand embroidered border on a 100% cotton dish towel / hand towel / guest towel / bar towel. Three stripes down both sides and hand dyed rick-rack at the top and bottom add a charming vintage touch. Delightfully presented in a fab organdy re-usable pouch!
*Packaged in organdy pouch
*Machine wash cold and line dry
*Measures 20" x 29"
*Made in India
Write Your Own Review
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
* The city is named for William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham.
* Pittsburgh is known as the "city of bridges" as it boasts more than 400 of them.
* Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was based in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Oakland.
* Pittsburgh is also a very hilly city with inclines steep enough to challenge San Francisco. The best views of the city are from the top of Mount Washington (ride the Duquesne or Monongahela inclines).
* The "Steel City" was known as one of the top producers of steel in the nation. Pittsburgh-made steel was shipped across the country, used in massive construction projects such as the Golden Gate Bridge.
* Bingo, the game which is now played all over the world, was envisioned by Hugh J. Ward of Pittsburgh in the early 1920s.
* Since 1929 the Grant building in downtown has been home to a huge, flashing beacon. The beacon was installed so that aviators could avoid the building, the beacon spelled out the word "Pittsburgh" in morse code. In recent years the beacon's message has been altered and it no longer correctly spells the city's name.