This original design celebrates The Conch Republic - the sunny Florida Keys.
The design is silk-screened, then framed with a hand embroidered border on a 100% cotton dish towel / hand towel / guest towel / bar towel. Three stripes down both sides and hand dyed rick-rack at the top and bottom add a charming vintage touch. Delightfully presented in a fab organdy re-usable pouch!
*Packaged in organdy pouch
*Machine wash cold and line dry
*Measures 20" x 29"
*Made in India
Write Your Own Review
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register
* Key West has the highest average temperature in the USA.
* The Conch Republic story: Economic hardship hit the keys when border patrol bridge roadblocks became common. Tourists were so inconvenienced that they soon abandoned the Keys altogether. The Major of Key West, Dennis Wardlow, declared the city an independent republic in 1982 as protest. The city's secession was shortlived and Key West remains part of the U.S.
* There are over 1,700 islands in the archipelago, only 30 are inhabited.
* US Highway One runs from Fort Kent, ME to Key West, FL (total of 2,209 miles).
* The Florida Keys are the exposed parts of coral reefs. Some of the islands have sand built up around them, creating barrier islands while other islands remain as coral atolls.
* The third largest coral reef in the world is off the coast of Key West (160 miles long).
* Key West is closer to Cuba than Miami.
* Ernest Hemingway called Key West home for many years. His Key West estate is now a museum whose grounds are filled with polydactyl (six-toed) cats...descendants of Hemingway's cat Snowball.